WHAT IS A PARISH COUNCIL?The Parish Council is the first tier of local government. The Council has limited power but a reasonable amount of influence. Our main role is to exert influence on the decisions of Borough and County Councils. We are consulted on local planning applications, highway/road safety issues, long-term planning and community involvement strategies. Our councillors are voted on by the electors of the Parish area and serve for four years. In total we have 9 seats on the parish council. All councillors live or work in Mountnessing and are elected to serve the residents of the village.
The Parish Council has direct responsibility for:
- Maintaining the playgrounds in the village
- Maintaining the recreation grounds at Coronation Fields
- Running the allotments on Roman Road
- Looking after the village bus shelters
- Maintaining the grounds in the Water Meadows
- Commenting on all planning applications
- Supporting village organisations
- Providing a focus within the village for action/representations on key issues
- Monitoring Public Rights of Way
WHERE DOES THE PARISH COUNCIL GET THE MONEY TO DO THIS?The Parish Council sets a budget every year known as the Precept. The money is collected by Brentwood Borough Council through the Council Tax bills. This is paid by the electors in the Parish. The Parish Council may also receive grants and income in other ways. These monies are used to impove life iin the Mountnessing community, recently we have secured a number of grants to upgrade the playground on Coronation Fields .
HOW DOES THE PARISH COUNCIL WORK?The Parish Council meets every month and also employs a part-time Parish Clerk to implement policy decisions. The Parish Clerk, Ieuan Harries, carries out his duties from his home in Padham Green.
HOW DO I FIND OUT WHATS BEEN AGREED AT A PARISH COUNCIL MEETING?You will find minutes of meetings in the ‘Meetings’ section of this website and on the Village notice boards. Minutes cannot be published until approved (as a true record of the particular meeting) at the following Parish Council or Planning meeting.
- Chairman Andrew Stephenson Tel: 01277 352726
- Councillor Ken Broughton Tel: 01277 354657
- Councillor Louisa Hicks Tel: 01277 352418
- Councillor Ashley Hofert Tel: 01277 356924
- Councillor Stephen King Tel: 01277 355003
- Councillor Siobhain Santry Tel: 01277 354694
- Councillor Diane Read Tel: 01277 352413
- Councillor Vacant
- Councillor Vacant
All councillors adhere to the Parish Council code of Conduct and complete a register of interests: Click here to view
WHEN DOES THE PARISH COUNCIL MEET?
The Parish Council meets on the second Monday of every calendar month at 7.30pm in St Johns Hall, Church Road, Mountnessing.
There is a public question time at the beginning of every meeting for local residents to bring up any matters affecting the village. Local Borough and County Councillors regularly attend these meetings too.